Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Adventures in Homeschooling Day 1

In support of the TEA/TPSD teachers strike I will be blogging our family's activities.  Both in support of our teachers (good god I miss them already) and to remind myself that there is a very good reason for my children not to stay home with me everyday to attend public school.

Monday night we were sure school would be canceled so, I started thinking of smart nerdy things to do with my kids.  Top of the list was the Science Center, perhaps I just wanted to relive the butterfly mayhem.  Got the Robocall; no school; shocker.  Planned the day.

Tuesday morning we headed north.  Got into the parking lot and found this:



FRICK!  Craptastic.  Now what?  Quick searches of other local attractions (thank you iphone) and some quick math based on the 6 of us, yielded this +9.5% sales tax:

Woodland Park Zoo: $87
Seattle Aquarium:  $81
Seattle Children's Museum: $45

We joined the Science Center to avoid such dilemmas! Now, it's not just that mommy is cheap; daddy's cheap too; and so's Auntie Heather.  How on earth do people have large families and actually afford to do anything?  Ugh!


Beechers Cheese

So, we decided to be tourists.  Albeit, cheap tourists.  The kids didn't know any better.  We scoffed at the closed science center and quickly changed directions and decided to tour the piers and the market.  It was great.  We had fun.  My girls were rather awful and I wished that I could give them to someone else for 6 hours; did I mention that I love teachers?  We toured the piers.  I was reminded of the Seattle of my early 20's.  We took the stairs up to the market and the kids all commented on how the stairwell smelled like pee...nice.  We bought lunch and ate it amongst the bums in Fireman's Park.  We watched the bicycle cops ride through and watched the fully uniformed Park Ranger meander about.  Seattle's weird.  Part of me misses it; part of me just wants to bathe in hand gel.

All it all, I'd say it was a success.  We all survived.  We made a memory.  We came home, went to REI and then... we stopped at our farmer's market to get our produce.  I love Tacoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment