Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Butterflies. They may be pretty but they're still bugs.




Last weekend we had visitors.  Three of my favorite people came into town.  I got my toddler fix and my girls got to dote on an adorable little man.  The long weekend was full of late evenings chatting, good food, and even better company.  As the weekend drew to a close I knew my girls were going to be devastated when their little buddy Ez had to get on a plane home.  I started plotting an outing.  




Sure enough, as soon as we pulled away from the departures terminal I peeked in the rear view; Gwendo was trying to hold it together while her eyes were welling up with tears, and Super T just lost it, huge crocodile tears and sobs.  I was glad I had a plan, I headed to the the Pacific Science Center.  For the most part it was a hit.  As per usual, my girls were entertaining.  Throughout the insect exhibit the girls were pleasantly creeped out.  When we came upon the Madagascar Cockroaches Tula chirped "I wish I could touch one!"  Yeah kid, if only... Next came the butterfly exhibit.  The teen volunteer explained to us the rules of butterfly conduct and let us into the building.  The girls freaked, and not in a good way.  I could tell that they were on the verge of screaming like the little girls that they are.  They were SERIOUSLY not ok with these crazy beautiful - but still essentially just - bugs threatening to land on them at any given moment!  Then the inevitable happened... one landed on Gwen.  On her shoulder.  She instantly turned into Lurch, haunched back, shoulder pointed to the sky, pretty sure her knee went straight immobilized and she panic whispered: "MOM!! GET IT OFFFFFF!!!"  Tula plastered herself to my leg and made some hideous alien panic noise.  Seriously, it was all I could do to not fall to the ground laughing.  I said "I'm not allowed to touch it.  It'll just fly away in a sec."  And yes, maybe I enjoyed the fact that I couldn't just flick it off her shoulder a little too much... After a few seconds and after it didn't fly away, I did straighten her shirt a little and the pretty little thing took off.  I chuckled and Gwen said, "No really mom, WE HAVE to Get OUT of here."  It's times like these that I wonder what my life would be like if I had had boys.



So, we were done with the science center.  BUT (!) worry not, being the brilliant mother that I am, I bought us a membership!  We can have such lively adventures with butterflies any time we want!!  



 
 



We decided to hit the fountain.  And again, being the brilliant mother that I am, I brought swim suits (forgot towels though, DOH)!  Gwen did her best 'budding artist' impression and sketched both the fountain and the space needle.  She did not however, sketch a single butterfly.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me fell like this blog is written just for me! The pictures are wonderful as are stories you tell! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had such an awesome time - thanks for everything! You gotta send us some of those pics.

    ReplyDelete