Monday, September 12, 2011

My Favorite Orange Cat

Tula's Orange Cat Tattoo. Helping all my little girl's dreams come true!
I was recently reminded of a conversation that I never want to forget.  Quite a while back my girls were sitting at their desks working on an art project.  They were chatting about all the things little girls chat about and I was eavesdropping like a good mother.  My ears perked up and I almost choked on my coffee when I heard this:

Tula: "When I grow up, I want to be an orange cat!"
Gwen: "You can't." all too matter of fact.
Tula: "Why not?" panic.
Gwen: "Cause you're already just a girl." paired with a simple shrug.

I was captured by many points of this conversation.  1) That big sister with 2 more worldly years under her belt, recognized that people could not grow up to become animals.  2) That big sister had no qualms with squashing the hopes and dreams of the wee one.  3)  That there was something significantly less than by being just a little girl.  And 4) That at only around 3 years old, Tula had discovered what it takes most of us decades to do.  Emulate the cat.  Relax. Take a nap in the sun. Nothing is that big of a deal.  I sure hope she continues to want to be a cat someday.  Those traits may be really helpful to off set her sister when my house is full of teen girls.

1 comment: