Monday, November 8, 2010

Apple Pepper Soup

I'm not the world's best cook.  I think I can say that I'm not the worst either.  I can make a pretty kick ass quiche.  I can bake a beautiful batch of cupcakes.  And oh man, I can make scones.  But occasionally, with the best of intentions and the best of instructions, my recipes go awry.

One such recipe was that for a butternut squash soup.  It was a lovely recipe and sounded fabulous.  It was fairly easy to make.  It was beautiful in the bowl.  However... It called for the addition of apples, and an ungodly amount of pepper.

I remember my kind sister-in-law saying after her first bite, "Oh, what was it you said was in this?" There was a lot of laughter at the table and the dish was renamed "Apple Pepper Soup".  In the end, all the soup ended up down the drain and it wasn't anything a bottle of wine and some grilled cheese sandwiches couldn't fix.  

Occasionally, life hands you a big bowl of Apple Pepper Soup and says "eat up".  I'm just glad that there's usually someone there with me cracking jokes.

1 comment:

  1. I actually came across a recipe for butternut squash soup this week that called for an apple and thought of this story. Needless to say, I did not make the soup.

    ReplyDelete